The aims and objects of the Foundation are to follow the Purpose of the Foundation and continue the work and interest of Gert Johannes “Jakes” Gerwel in the development of education, culture and social justice in the Republic of South Africa by the carrying on of one or more public benefit activities as may be selected by the Trustees from time to time in, among others Education and Development, Cultural and Welfare and Humanitarian sectors including, without limitation:
The main focus of the Jakes Gerwel Foundation is the promotion of the South African literature, and specifically to
- enrich and expand South African literature;
- making new perspectives and experienced worlds heard;
- giving support to upcoming South African writers.
Education and Development
- support of educational institutions and others of a public character in their provision of education and educational programmes;
- provision of educational enrichment, academic support, supplementary tuition or outreach programmes for the poor and needy and those otherwise unable to afford the same.
- promoting the advancement, promotion or preservation of the arts, culture or customs;
- promoting, establishing, protecting, preserving or maintaining areas, collections or buildings of historical or cultural interest, national monuments, national heritage sites, museums, including art galleries, archives and libraries;
- providing youth leadership or development programmes.
Welfare & Humanitarian
- promotion or advocacy of human rights and democracy;
- provision of poverty relief;
- protection of family stability;
- Community development for poor and needy persons and anti-poverty initiatives.