The purpose of the Jakes Gerwel Foundation is to advance the work and interests of Gert Johannes ‘Jakes’ Gerwel by developing and promoting education, arts and culture as well as social justice in South Africa. As such, the Jakes Gerwel Foundation serves the South African community, upholds the South African Constitution and complies with South African laws.
This means that the Jakes Gerwel Foundation also commits itself to comply, in all its activities, with the Protection of Personal Information Act (also called the POPI Act or POPIA). The Jakes Gerwel Foundation is committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully and transparently.
In this Notice to you, we explain how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the POPIA regulations. This Notice also explains the rights you may exercise in this regard.
The information we collect
We collect and process your personal information mainly to contact you for the purposes of developing you as a writer by means of our projects. To do this, we will collect contact details, such as your name, email address, telephone number, and whatever information is deemed to be needed to develop you as an artist or to promote your writing.
First, we collect information directly from you during the application process for participation in our various projects. We will require you to provide us with your personal details, a short CV and description of your talents and work, and whatever other information we may need to ensure a fair selection process.
Second, should you be chosen to participate in any project and you accept to do so, we may ask you to supply us with additional information to help you benefit as fully as possible from your participation in the project. This information may include the type of information needed to make travel arrangements to and from Paulet House in the Eastern Cape, or information related to dietary requirements during a residency period at Paulet House.
Last, we may use your personal information to promote your work as a writer or an artist on our website, Facebook page or through press releases about our projects. This information may, in addition to the types of information already named above, include photographs or video clips of you or your work.
At each step of the way, we will inform you what information we need. Where applicable, we will also inform you what information is essential and what information is optional.
How we use your information
There are two broad categories of the use we will make of your personal information.
We will use your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected and as it was agreed upon with you.
In addition, where necessary, your information will be retained for legal purposes. For example:
- For audit and recordkeeping purposes
- In connection with legal proceedings
Disclosure of information
We will share, where necessary, your personal information with third parties who assist us with the projects for which you apply or in which you participate. The Jakes Gerwel Foundation will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected in line with POPIA regulations as we process, store or, where necessary, share this information. We will only disclose your personal information when we have a duty or a right to do so in terms of the South African law and when we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
We are legally bound to provide protection for the personal information we collect, process and store. This means we must strive to prevent any unauthorised access or use of the personal information we collect, process and store. We undertake to review our security controls on an ongoing basis to ensure that the personal information we collect, process and store remains secure.
You have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- Subject to certain legal restrictions,
- you may decide that you no longer want to have your personal information processed or held by the Jakes Gerwel Foundation.
- you may request the Jakes Gerwel Foundation that your personal information be corrected, blocked or deleted.
- You may also lodge a request to view a copy of the personal information of you that is held by the Jakes Gerwel Foundation.
Exercising your Rights and Complaints
- If you want to exercise any of the above rights about the personal information of you the Jakes Gerwel Foundation holds, you can contact us at email@example.com
- The Jakes Gerwel Foundation will never wilfully act in a way to compromise your privacy. However, should you have any concern about how we deal with your personal information and how this affects your privacy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will see how we can resolve your concern.
- If you are dissatisfied with how we deal with your personal information, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator. You can contact them on IR@justice.gov.za.
Executive Director of the Jakes Gerwel Foundation
Last updated: August 2021